Advocating for Data
A discussion forum on the issues relating to data that represents London’s diverse communities
We know that 48% of London’s population is recorded as BAME, however this figure is a general overview. Although there is some data available to indicate the different ethnic groupings included under the term BAME, there is not enough detailed information to adequately represent the many different communities that are residents in London.
The Advocating for data event is being organised by a partnership of organisations: London Plus, ROTA and HEAR Equality and Human Rights Network.
Wednesday 29th May, 9.30am – 1pm at the Artworks Classrooms in London Bridge.
The Advocating for data event will be a discussion forum on the issues relating to data that represents London’s diverse communities and through the discussion we aim to:
- Raise awareness and stimulate discussion around the need for more detailed data on all of London’s ethnic groups.
- Generate a discussion on how more nuanced data can be collected and what steps need to be taken to start this process.
We will be featuring case studies from organisations that demonstrate how the standardised ethnic categories which are used across the Government and the NHS are too general, and how this can impact negatively on potential healthcare or funding resources being allocated appropriately.
There will be opportunities for event participants to discuss ideas and proposals during the event and a panel of experts will help steer a discussion on how to take actions on advocating for data forward.
Although this event is free, registration is essential as there are limited places available – please sign up for the event on the London Plus Eventbrite page.
The Artworks Classrooms 60a Weston St, London Bridge SE1 3QJ
Access: The room where the event is being held is on the 2nd floor, there is a lift to the floor. Please contact Leah Whittingham if you will need to use the lift or have any other access needs: firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions to the Venue
- Underground: Underground London Bridge (Northern & Jubilee lines) and then follow the signs for the Shard or Guys Hospital. Once on St Thomas St, turn left – and Weston St is on the right-hand side after Café Nero. The Artworks Classrooms is located between numbers 60 and 62 Weston St.
- National Rail: National Rail London Bridge and then follow the signs for St Thomas St exit. Once on St Thomas St, turn left – and Weston St is on the right-hand side after Café Nero. The Artworks Classrooms is located between numbers 60 and 62 Weston St.
- Bus: The nearest buses are from the Union St stop on Borough High St, serving destinations North and South.